10/08/2011

When life gives you plums...

I had an early meeting at work the other day (yes, in the licensed trade I do sometimes still have to haul my arse out of bed in the morning, but not nearly so often as you 9-5ers). As I blustered in, I bumped into Lorraine, our cleaner and kitchen porter, who asked me if I liked/wanted some plums. I said yeah, and was immediately granted a bowlful, which perched next to me while I went through paperwork and projects with my training officer:




Now, that might seem like an odd little setup for a work meeting, I guess. But it makes more sense if you consider that my passion for food, gardening, and cooking is gaining repute throughout the village I work in and the community I serve. And that Lorraine's neighbours tree was fruiting at the time, so she had a huge carrier bag of the things with her. I'm often gifted with foodstuffs to 'make something with' at work these days, and I'm always happy to take it, and bring in some of the results to share with my coworkers and friends. I like the idea of food creating community, and community creating food.

So I cycled home, to leaf through my cookbooks and find something to make with the plums. I wanted something to fit the season, not too heavy or wintery, and bizarrely, the only thing i could find that didn't resonate with sitting down in knitwear in a heated house was Nigella Lawson's Winter Plum Cake, from How to be a Domestic Goddess. She calls it a winter cake because it's made with tinned plums (something I sort of shudder to think of, sorry to say) so I figured whipping one up with fresh plums would be enough to take the Winter right out of it. and that is exactly what I did, and here is my adapted recipe:

Not-so-Wintery-Plum-Cake

for the cake:
567g tin red plums (or the unweighed amount of fresh, stoned plums i had, which must have been about the 600g mark)
125g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
75g ground almonds
125g butter, softened
125g light brown sugar
2 large eggs (keep it organic and free range, people)
1 scant teaspoon almond essence
20cm springform cake tin, buttered and lined.

for the icing:
160g unrefined icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons hot water.

preheat the oven to 170 degrees c/gas mark 3.

Chop your plums. I went for 2.5cm dice, which seemed to be fine, although if you're worried about uneven distribution, chop them as fine as you see fit. Leave aside. Mix the flour, baking powder, and ground almonds. Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs, adding a tablespoon of the flour mixture after each one. Beat in the almond essence, then fold in the rest of the flour mixture and the drained, chopped plums. Turn into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 1/4 hours, though check at 1 hour. When it's ready, coming away from the sides of the tin, take out of the oven, leave in it's tin to cool for ten minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

When cool, ice with brown sugar icing, which you make simply by mixing the sieved icing sugar with water til you have a caramel coloured paste. pour over the top of the cake to cover thinly, not necessarily uniformly, and leave to drip, here and there, down the sides.

So here it is:

I was quietly proud of this cake, it's by no means an elegant confection, but it has the kind of country cooking charm that's totally appropriate to how I obtained it's principal ingredient. It tasted amazing; the plums were tart and contrasted beautifully with the marzipan-like taste and texture of the sponge; i'm not sure I'd bother making this with sweetened tinned fruit having tried it in this incarnation. It was the perfect unfussy cake to serve in huge wodges with mugs of coffee (some cakes are tea cakes, and some are coffee cakes; i don't make the rules; I just obey them). I took a slab of it down to work with me to share with my coworkers; and it went down a storm. Using cake to win friends and influence people? Maybe, but whatever works.

No comments:

Post a Comment